Monday, May 22, 2006

KC Zoo

I went to the zoo this weekend..it costs $8.50 for adults but lucky me, I had free passes. That's a very good thing because I would have been rather disappointed.

The entry is always nice, near the IMAX theater, it's supposed to close so I have no idea what they will do with the space. The gift shop is pretty nice also. Going into the zoo looks great and there's plenty of parking, what more could you ask for? Oh....I don't know...MORE animals and LESS walking, no HIKING!

I worked at the zoo about 15 years ago on the pony rides. I had to walk in a big circle with kids riding ponys all day so I'm not a stranger to walking a lot. HOWEVER, the complaints I heard then are the same ones I have now. It takes 20 minutes, or longer with a kid, to hike from the Australia exhibits to the Africa exhibits. I skipped Australia this trip because I'm aware of the distance between the two. I visited the Asian exhibits and Africa. Anyone who has been there knows I'm not exaggerating about the walking, in the hot sun, and no animals to see on the way...well, a few, but not enough.

The people who created the layout of the KC Zoo still haven't figured it out...you need to see animals, more than 3-4 sleeping, during that 20 minute hike. It's supposed to be a zoo where you WILL see animals, not a nature hike where you have to FIND animals.

No comments: