Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mars, the 7 sisters and Orion's belt

I was walking out of my mother's house the other night, following my sister, when I noticed her looking towards the heavens. She pointed up and commented about a cluster of stars, then asked me if that was Orion's Belt.

I was not sure. I'm still not sure. Since we both like stargazing we watched the twinkling white lights for a bit.

Remembering that Orion's Belt had about 3 stars, she said we probably had found that constalation. I still was not sure, so she asked about the Seven Sisters. I was not sure if I was seeing them or not. There was a time when I instantly recognized the stars in the skies but lately, I have not had reasons to look. It is a habit I realized I lost but I think it may be time to start looking again. There is something powerful and peaceful about looking at the stars and realizing we are not so grand as the universe. Looking at all that space makes me feel small but it also diminishes my problems in life.

As we continued to look, I noticed a twinkle I am certain I've seen before. One of the stars in the sky did not twinkle white, it twinkled red. I realized the red light is most likely the planet Mars. I pointed it out to my sister. She said she had never noticed the red light before but was happy to hear that it was a planet...something she had never seen before.

That knowledge was not knowledge I obtained in my own investigations about the heavens, it came from my husband. It was something we shared...a love for the night sky and stargazing. He would point out Mars to me regularly. He would map the flight of the International Space Station and excitedly take me out into the cold, night air, anxious to see a flash of light streak across the sky. A very TINY streak of light...but in that light was the proof that man had actually placed something in outer space. It is one thing to see a launch or to see a spacecraft on the ground. It is entirely another issue to see a streak that you know was put there by man. I have to say those nights were amazing bonding moments...at least for me.

It was nice to share this with my husband but as with any relationship that is falling apart, he gradually decided to enjoy those moments alone. He gradually cut me out of his moments of fun and enjoyment. This was long before the fighting, long before the hurt feelings and long before he decided the best course of action for himself was to abandon his wife and kid.

I talked to my sister about this, she asked what anyone would ask..."Did you ever ask him why he didn't want to share that with you anymore?" "Oh, only about 1,000 times...he never gave me a clear, satisfactory answer." I have concluded that what someone told me long ago is most likely true, "He just fell out of love..."

No comments: