Friday, July 16, 2010

Just call me "Kurt"

I have been a writer (or wannabe writer) for a long time. I've had years of experience as a newspaper reporter and I just generally love writing. I have never thought I may write like any one famous, but apparently I do.

According to the web site, I Write Like, I write like Kurt Vonnegut. Who is that? Well, I would hope people already know. Mr. Vonnegut is known for the novel, "Slaughterhouse Five," among others. Here is a description of him and his writing (in general)....American author noted for his pessimistic and satirical novels. Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s best known work is SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE (1969), which was based on his experiences in Dresden, Germany, where he was a prisoner-of-war at the destruction of the town in 1945. Vonnegut used fantasy and science fiction to examine the horrors and absurdities of 20th century civilization. His constant concern about the effects of technology on humanity led some critics to consider him a science fiction writer, but the author himself rejected this label.

I have to admit, I'm a bit thrilled that this unscientific program linked me with Kurt Vonnegut. I'm sure some hate his writing but I have to say, I didn't expect his name to pop up in connection with me in any way.

Reading a few quotes from Kurt, I have to say we have similar attitudes about a few things...
One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.
Kurt Vonnegut, "Cold Turkey", In These Times, May 10, 2004
As disturbing as it is, I did watch a special on television where a person committed suicide with the help of a doctor. I also vividly remember an episode of COPS where a burglar was shot dead in someone's home...for whatever reasons, the man (barely breathing) was filmed slowly dying why the police conducted the investigation.

At the same time...the next quote is one I very much like and agree with...
A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.
Kurt Vonnegut, Sirens of Titan
This is a very long way to say I'm glad to be considered a writer of the caliber of Kurt Vonnegut. I loved "Welcome to the Monkey House." It was a short-lived show on Showtime hosted by Vonnegut himself featuring many of his short stories.

No comments: