Friday, June 12, 2009

Spock(s)


So, I finally went and saw the new Star Trek film and I can warn anyone who attempts to read this post that I am a Trek-fan so going geek is inevitable. I won't bother with the argument about Trekker vs. Trekkie...I call myself a Trekker and that is the end of the argument for me. I am also pretty thrilled that I was born the same year my favorite show hit the airwaves. But on to more about this new film.

I'm happy it was made. I really enjoyed it for a variety of reasons...some I'll mention, others I'll keep to myself. But what I am very happy about is that the producers who control this money making venture finally stopped phoning it in. They actually demanded something worth that $10 movie price...I only paid $5 because of the time I went but the point still stands. This is a good film and they managed to get away from having to stay faithful to canon. Trek fans will notice the inconsistencies with the long Trek history but it's OK.
Non-Trek fans have no idea what that means and they don't care but it is critically important if you wan the people who kept this show alive to continue pumping it full of critical life support.

Here's a bit spoiler...once the Romulan ship travels into the past, the lives of the Trek crew get changed. I would say it's similar to the episode Mirror/Mirror but in the end things don't get 'fixed'. In this Star Trek, the changes remain and leaves open a door for making episodes that can ignore the Trek Bible. That Bible dictates a lot that was already violated in this film...seeing Romulans, the Orian woman in Starfleet, Enterprise built in Iowa, Kirk born in space and that Spock/Uhura thing.

Now, let's talk about Spock. He is my favorite character and if they had messed him up (as they had in many other outtings of Trek) I would not have liked this film as much. I just LOVE Zachary Quinto as Spock. Not only does he resemble Leonard Nimoy, he has excellent acting talent. On Heroes he plays the villian 'Sylar' and is so cold it's chilling. Quinto has a trumendous opportunity, as do the rest of the cast, to take an iconic character and step outside the original character's footsteps. But I would caution them to step lightly because Paramount seemed determined to kill Trek just a few years ago. But I think the big screen likes this cast, especially Quinto, and I would love to see them on another outting.

No comments: