Monday, July 13, 2009

Whites only

The issue of racism has been on my mind a lot lately and I think I have come to a conclusion...discussing racism with some white people is a futile endeavour.

Usually I would say "some people" and never limit such a comment to one race. I also want to say this does not apply to all white people...just certain types. The type I am referring to are white people who are actually racist, prejudiced or bigots but refuse to admit their short-comings. These people usually say things like, "I'm not a racist. I have plenty of black friends." Uh, right...the best reply to that comment is how much time do you spend with that "friend" socially? But I digress...

Here is what I have experienced. Racism exists in all races of people. Anyone can be a racist, I do not agree a person needs power to be racist. According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, racism is a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. The reason I say discussing racism with some whites is futile is based on my experiences. I have discussed racism with people of various races. What I noticed about minorities and this subject is they will at least listen. Their views may not change but they will at least acknowledge your points. Many whites will acknowledge points too but those are not the whites I am talking about.

My experiences in speaking with some whites clearly show they racist, yet they refuse to admit or accept this personal flaw. For example, a "friend" commented about a fear he has of being around groups of black people. He said that they (blacks) are more likely to commit crimes. He based his belief on local media reports, his father's experiences as a security guard and various opinions from other family members. After talking on this subject for the better part of an hour, I realized that no amount of talk, statistics or reasoning would sway his opinion. Upon more thought, I realized his fear or avoidance of blacks in groups is deeper than just a fear of violence.

Looking at history, whites enjoyed segregation from other races. According to my friend, not wanting to be the only "white guy" in a group of blacks is not racist...he just does not like feeling uncomfortable. However, when I said blacks deal with this discomfort every day because we are members of a minority race in America, he said then I should understand his feelings. He totally missed my point in that blacks deal with the discomfort, they do not accept it as a justification for personal segregation.

The most revealing comment this person made is when he said, "Name a mostly white neighborhood that is high in crime?" That comment alone says whites are superior to blacks. It says blacks in groups are criminals and I will avoid them. It also says whites in groups are good, law-abiding citizens and are justified in wanting to keep their neighborhoods white. The saddest part of this conversation is he never slowed down to realize his comments are racist. He was so fixated on making me agree that he did not realize he was asking me to agree to a self-hating statement. This attitude is also a throw-back to racists whites treatment of blacks...agree with me or else. The problem today is the "or else" has no teeth. There was a time when whites would force blacks to agree with degrading statements or face beatings, burnings or lynchings.

There is much more that can be said about racists whites who masquerade as open-minded, non-racists but that would take all day. The saddest thing about my "friend" is that he can not see his own racism, yet shares the racist views of his family with me regularly. But if I say, "That's racist..." he vehemently defends the person or comment. Ultimately, when pushed on an issue of racism, he stops straddling the fence and jumps down on the racist side. He will never change unless he decides he needs to change. I doubt that will ever happen. He is happy in his small, racist world justifying his views of superiority. Despite the fact that I am older and have more worldly experience, my views, opinions and even government statistics I present are worthless in his eyes. I believe they are worthless because of my skin color and not my data.

No comments: