Thursday, March 03, 2011

Did you hear what I said? or...Shut up and LISTEN!

I was having what I thought to be a conversation about weight problems with a co-worker when I realized I was becoming really angry with every word spoken. I could not figure out what it was about this conversation that was getting my panties into a bunch. Let me say this first, I don't get angry easily. I tend to be a pretty easy-going person. I love debating issues but only if there is mutual respect. BINGO!

I didn't realize the issue until my drive home. There was nothing mutually respectful in our conversation. When I think back to the conversation, I realize this woman who I believed to be the typical "nice lady" was regularly speaking over me without really paying attention to my points, opinions and comments.

Example...I said weight loss is a more complicated situation than just eating less or following a plan. Her comment was that "anyone" can lose weight if they just stick to a weight loss plan. I disagree. Her comment ignores genetics, psychology, outside factors and a host of other influences on the average person's appetite. People eat for reasons that may or may not include hunger and her comments ignore that also.

I am a heavier person, call me fat if you like, it's what I am, therefore I took this woman's comments rather personally. Her opinions were simple...if you follow ANY dieting plan you WILL lose weight.

My argument was more complex. I agreed that following a plan would yield weight loss but there are several mitigating circumstances that should be considered, not the least of which being is the plan sustainable. That comment was the only one that seemed to shut her up. A person can live on bread and water but that person will never thrive on such a meager diet. You will lose weight, but once you begin eating normally, the weight will return and bring along friends, therefore her theory has a huge failure flaw. What is the point of losing weight if you will simply re-gain?

As I said, differences of opinions are fine, lack of respect is what gets me charged up. This woman consistently disregarded all my statements about weight loss and health to maintain her dictate that anyone can lose if they just follow a plan. If it were that simple, dieting wouldn't be a multi-million dollar business. The most confusing thing about this woman is that she is fat also. That left me with a rather harsh opinion of her...just because she has failed diet plans for lack of discipline, she presumes that everyone other fat person is fat for the same reasons.

That blanket view is simply not true. Some people, like myself, have medical issues that contribute to weight gain. Others can not exercise due to physical injury. Others really have eating disorders. For some people, losing weight isn't a very important thing. Weight is an extremely personal issue. Saying that your personal reasons for being fat or not being able to lose weight is a rather arrogant point of view. Each individual has their individual issues and even if you don't agree, respect should be given. I have strong opinions but I definitely don't disregard other opinions in favor of mine. As the saying goes, everyone has one...I just wanted this woman to shut up, listen, consider the information and have a discussion. Instead, I got to hear how her opinion was right and my opinion was excuses...whatever chicky-girl.

No comments: