Sunday, March 06, 2011

San Francisco vs. Kansas City, with a bit of James Franco on the side

I love the city of my birth...San Francisco, Ca. There are a number of reasons for this, I used to think it was just because I was born there. However, many people are born places and hate the city/town of their origin. Being born in SF has nothing to do with my love of the city...it's just a fringe benefit. Not may people can make the claim of being born in the City by the Bay. The hospital where I was born isn't even there anymore, thank you George Lucas. Hey, George...another MAJOR reason to prefer SF over KC! Simply put, SF is known around the world. Most people have no idea where Kansas City is even located.

What I can't ignore is that San Francisco had a huge influence on this "Blue Girl" who finds herself in a Red State. One of the significant things I have found is my constant need to defend my love of SF because people here only hear KC bashing. OK...I admit it, I DON'T like Kansas City. In fact, I would say it is pretty close to hate, not simple dislike. When I say this, the next question is, "Why are you here? Why don't you move back?" Personal reasons brought me here; finances keep me here. The longer answer is most of my family is here and being a single mom, I can use as much family support as possible. However, if my family lived in Alaska then that's where I would be now. My move to KC wasn't because I love the Midwest.

Still, there are nice things about Kansas City. The photo is a picture of Crown Center Plaza, a rather nice Christmas photo. Hallmark is headquartered here so one would expect the city would be especially decked out for the holidays...any holiday. But there is the issue, huh...Kansas City doesn't DO much of anything to promote anything. As a result, I think Kansas City works very hard to kill its own appeal. Hallmark is a huge corporation that is known around the world. I wonder how many people know it is headquartered in Kansas City. I wonder how many locals know this fact. Not promoting Hallmark is one way KC shoots itself in the foot. That festering wound will not heal any time soon.

Folgers Coffee is scheduled to shut down its plant located in downtown KC. If you want to hear about something I love about Kansas City...it is the wonderful smell of fresh coffee that fills the air of downtown, especially on cold mornings. While I applaud the efforts of average citizens to save this landmark and 180 jobs, I am critical of city leaders who appear to do NOTHING in trying to build up this city. Maybe they are working behind the scenes but I seriously doubt that. This city has a long history of selfish politicians and corruption, AKA The Pendergast Machine. What is more troubling than anything is how many Kansas Citians know nothing of Mr. Pendergast, another reason to NOT like KC...the citizens' ignorance of their own city's history. When I mention these facts, I am told these things happen everywhere...uh, no they don't. In fact, saying it happens everywhere is a sign of ignorance, isolation and apathy.

I have many more reasons to say why I don't like KC but I'd rather talk about James Franco now.

First, it takes A LOT of confidence for a man to dress up like Marilyn Monroe for a huge television event. It's even more impressive that if you look at the make up job on his face, he is STILL very attractive. Not many men can do drag and remain attractive. Yes...looking at the arms, shoulders and lack of breasts...uh...he's NOT a pretty woman. But...looking at his face, he's a pretty man.

I know he is being slammed hard for the Oscar hosting. Anne seems to be skating by with less criticism. I even have to say James seemed a bit stiff and there was zero chemistry between the two. However, no slam to Ms. Hathaway...but...James is a PhD candidate and had to leave immediately following the show to return to school. He actually had a class early the next morning and he made it there on time, still wearing his tuxedo pants. Since my mom is also a PhD candidate, I have witnessed the work it takes...and she's not even going to Yale as Mr. Franco is. Did anyone think just -maybe- the man is a bit distracted by school work. This is a big step for the man who obviously wants more for his life than pretending to be someone else on film. Since he is studying English, I have a bigger soft spot for him. He's hot, talented, driven, educated and looks good in a dress...what more can you ask for?

No comments: